Evolv DNA Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Yellowhorse

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #1 
I find that running the Device Monitor and being unable to do anything else while it is open to be severely limiting and to be honest....a little annoying. I can't be the only person that doesn't like not being able to have multiple 'active' windows going at the same time.

I know I'm picking nits here but, I sure would like to see this issue addressed in the next release/update of EScribe.

While I'm here, Kudos to Evolv for the DNA200 and the EScribe software. What a great product!
Gm111

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 138
Reply with quote  #2 
I think they would have done this by now if they could, we'll soon find out.. I think you have to close D/M to change settings and then go back onto D/M due to having to have the device in idle too upload settings, when in D/M the device is not idle..
Yellowhorse

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm111
I think they would have done this by now if they could, we'll soon find out.. I think you have to close D/M to change settings and then go back onto D/M due to having to have the device in idle too upload settings, when in D/M the device is not idle..


That's exactly what I'm talking about. EScribe only lets us do one thing at a time. When that Device Monitor is open, you can't open anything else up - even to look at it. I see that as a big problem.
YES, it's 'fixable'. It's just a matter of getting Evolv to do it.
VapingBad

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 2,449
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm111
I think they would have done this by now if they could, we'll soon find out.. I think you have to close D/M to change settings and then go back onto D/M due to having to have the device in idle too upload settings, when in D/M the device is not idle..


That's exactly what I'm talking about. EScribe only lets us do one thing at a time. When that Device Monitor is open, you can't open anything else up - even to look at it. I see that as a big problem.
YES, it's 'fixable'. It's just a matter of getting Evolv to do it.

You mean you can't use the other parts of Escribe?  That is common practice in software design, modal window, I don't see it is a issue at all YMMV.

__________________
• I am not employed by nor do I represent Evolv Inc.  All opinions are my own, they are just opinion not fact and can be wrong •

Latest versions of EScribe: DNA 200/250DNA 75
Common problems
retird

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 1,187
Reply with quote  #5 
Since the Device Monitor is monitoring in live time it may be that changes can't be made to the device while Device Monitor is open??  At any rate this request has been asked for before so there may be a reason/reasons it is the way it is I'm guessing.....when in DM it has control of the device thus in the lower right hand corner there are thing you can do like fire the device, chg temp, set power, run diagnostics, and etc.
__________________
I am not an employee of and do not represent Evolv Inc.  My opinions are just that and are not meant to be fact or even correct.

Yellowhorse

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc601
Since the Device Monitor is monitoring in live time it may be that changes can't be made to the device while Device Monitor is open??  At any rate this request has been asked for before so there may be a reason/reasons it is the way it is I'm guessing.....when in DM it has control of the device thus in the lower right hand corner there are thing you can do like fire the device, chg temp, set power, run diagnostics, and etc.


You are completely missing the point. You can't do ANYTHING if the device monitor is running.
EVERYTHING else is disabled. File, Edit, Internet, Options, Tools, Profiles, Help, Atomizer Analyzer, Copy Profile, create a new wire profile - ALL of them are useless if the device monitor is running.
There are plenty of things we could do without 'changing' anything on the device that would require an upload or download to the DNA200 - except.....you can't.
THAT, is what the 'problem' is.


VapingBad

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 2,449
Reply with quote  #7 
So many programs work like this, it is by design and the long established paradigm to use a modal window when operations have the potential of interfering with each other and is used by responsible software engineers to prevent conflicts and bugs occurring.  I just don't understand the problem Device Monitor saves it's settings you only have to close it, do the other thing you wanted and open it again.
__________________
• I am not employed by nor do I represent Evolv Inc.  All opinions are my own, they are just opinion not fact and can be wrong •

Latest versions of EScribe: DNA 200/250DNA 75
Common problems
smartalec1020

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 24
Reply with quote  #8 
Just thought I would give an idea here. Device Monitor and the rest of EScrive work completely differently (with regard to hardware). Evolv should make two separate apps. They install together (for Windows) and then you can open one of them or both of them at once.

Why do this? Mac/Linux support!!! This would allow Device Monitor to be implemented on Mac/Linux very quickly as no drivers are needed.

Just a thought...
Yellowhorse

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VapingBad
So many programs work like this, it is by design and the long established paradigm to use a modal window when operations have the potential of interfering with each other and is used by responsible software engineers to prevent conflicts and bugs occurring.  I just don't understand the problem Device Monitor saves it's settings you only have to close it, do the other thing you wanted and open it again.


It sure doesn't look like the Device Monitor is 'saving' anything at all. You can see it slowly reloading the information from the device every time you open it. If it was 'saved', it would snap back open to where it left off when you closed it. It appears to operate in 'real time' only and is not 'cached' at all.

A 'bug' is a defect that is already in the program. One does not 'create' a bug simply by opening another window. I've been an IT Professional for 35 years and would like to think I know a 'design flaw' when I see one. Opening another window to view or do something else should not affect a window that is simply monitoring/reading data from the device. Uploading a new program to the device is a different matter all together and I could understand a suspension of the other functions until the upload is complete but that is not what is happening here. Again, this software does NO multitasking and I see that as a flaw.

While my opinion on how this software 'should' work is my own, it is clear that there is plenty of room for factual/functional improvement. I'm sure that there will be changes/upgrades made to the program as time goes by. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the changes to happen sooner rather than later.

Just putting my 2 cents in.
Enjoy your day, everybody.
Yellowhorse

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 20
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalec1020
Just thought I would give an idea here. Device Monitor and the rest of EScrive work completely differently (with regard to hardware). Evolv should make two separate apps. They install together (for Windows) and then you can open one of them or both of them at once.

Why do this? Mac/Linux support!!! This would allow Device Monitor to be implemented on Mac/Linux very quickly as no drivers are needed.

Just a thought...


Not a bad idea but I see no reason that the software couldn't be multi-threaded and include all those features in one package. One install....to rule them all. [smile]
VapingBad

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 2,449
Reply with quote  #11 
Remember the main window allows reading and writing to the EPROM as dose Device Manager, you don't want to be doing both at the same time.
__________________
• I am not employed by nor do I represent Evolv Inc.  All opinions are my own, they are just opinion not fact and can be wrong •

Latest versions of EScribe: DNA 200/250DNA 75
Common problems
retird

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 1,187
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc601
Since the Device Monitor is monitoring in live time it may be that changes can't be made to the device while Device Monitor is open??  At any rate this request has been asked for before so there may be a reason/reasons it is the way it is I'm guessing.....when in DM it has control of the device thus in the lower right hand corner there are thing you can do like fire the device, chg temp, set power, run diagnostics, and etc.


You are completely missing the point. You can't do ANYTHING if the device monitor is running.
EVERYTHING else is disabled. File, Edit, Internet, Options, Tools, Profiles, Help, Atomizer Analyzer, Copy Profile, create a new wire profile - ALL of them are useless if the device monitor is running.
There are plenty of things we could do without 'changing' anything on the device that would require an upload or download to the DNA200 - except.....you can't.
THAT, is what the 'problem' is.




As I attempted to explain:  when in DM it has control of the device thus in the lower right hand corner there are thing you can do like fire the device, chg temp, set power, run diagnostics, and etc.

  One click closes it, do your stuff in EScribe and one click opens DM again.  FYI I asked the same thing during beta testing of the EScribe software (more than once).  I have lots of Windows software whereby you have a screen open to do a task and you cannot access anything else until you complete the screen or close it thus this is not an issue for me but YMMV.

Maybe Evolv's software guru could comment if he has time...

Have a great day yourself...  

__________________
I am not an employee of and do not represent Evolv Inc.  My opinions are just that and are not meant to be fact or even correct.

BobC

Member
Registered:
Posts: 71
Reply with quote  #13 
As a technology senior executive in the financial community for 35 years, having managed development of applications on platforms ranging from mainframes to smartphones, the use of modal windows are the result of poor software design, not application/hardware requirements, as any restrictions can easily be implemented using resource locking in a multi-threaded environment.

Please understand, Escribe is nothing more then a communications interface built specifically for the win32 graphical user interface, that's the problem, and as I stated before on this forum, the only reason it hasn't been ported to OSX and the mobile Linux environments of Android and IPhone, as that effort requires a re-write of the software.
VapingBad

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 2,449
Reply with quote  #14 
I disagree modal windows ensure users operate the software safely, as it has been tested and as intended to work, important windows going out of view can cause more problems than being forced to operate in a specific way.  I think it would be more frustrating disabling all the functions that read from or write to the device while DM was open and possibly behind the main window, many users would find that confusing and unintuitive.
__________________
• I am not employed by nor do I represent Evolv Inc.  All opinions are my own, they are just opinion not fact and can be wrong •

Latest versions of EScribe: DNA 200/250DNA 75
Common problems
BobC

Member
Registered:
Posts: 71
Reply with quote  #15 
You're not a developer then, trust me, quality user interface coding doesn't work that way, you don't have to go enabling/disabling all the reads and writes all over the place, those functions should be developed as common modules/components/objects. It only depends how well you program the app, reads and writes can all be blocked calls, with resource locks maintaining resource integrity, it's not a new concept.

Secondly, with the advent of mobile platforms, and decreasing relevance of the traditional desktop/laptop, it was extremely short sighted to implement escribe wired directly to a single operating system, I'm sure I speak for most in wanting an android/Iphone version of escribe if only for setting /reading settings and usage 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.